close
close

Diddy is said to be the subject of a federal investigation

NBC News reported that Sean “Diddy” CombsCombs’ legal team was notified last week by federal authorities in the Southern District of New York that he was under criminal investigation, according to two sources familiar with Combs’ ongoing legal troubles.

Those sources confirmed that a federal grand jury is hearing evidence as part of the investigation, but there is no indication that charges could be filed. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to comment, and Combs’ attorneys did not respond to NBC’s request for comment.

Legal experts explain that a subject of investigation is someone who falls within the scope of a criminal investigation, while a person is designated as a target when prosecutors likely intend to seek a grand jury indictment. A person’s status can be upgraded or downgraded during an investigation. According to the sources, Combs has not received a target letter, and the Southern District of New York is not required to send one.

This news comes three months after police officers searched Combs’ homes in Los Angeles and Miami.

In May, Combs apologized after a video obtained by CNN showed him hitting his then-girlfriend Cassie Ventura in a Los Angeles hotel in 2016. Combs admitted to the incident in an apology video on Instagram and took “full responsibility.”

“It’s so difficult to reflect on the darkest times in life, but sometimes you have to,” Combs said. “I was devastated – I mean, I was devastated – but I’m not making excuses.”

Combs initially denied Ventura’s allegations of assault and sex trafficking, which she described in a federal court lawsuit filed in November. The next day, the two settled for an undisclosed amount. When Combs admitted to the assault, a lawyer for Ventura, Meredith Firetog, said, “When Cassie and several other women came forward, he denied everything and suggested his victims were looking for a payday.”

Firetog added: “He was only forced to ‘apologize’ when his repeated denials were proven false, demonstrating his abject desperation.” Ventura’s lawyers did not respond to a question about whether she was subpoenaed for a grand jury hearing.

Meanwhile, Combs has been accused of a variety of allegations in several civil lawsuits. The latest lawsuit was filed Wednesday and accuses Combs of sex trafficking a former porn star. The former music executive has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged with a crime. Jonathan Davis, attorney for Sean Diddy Combs, dismissed the latest lawsuit.

“No matter how many lawsuits are filed, it will not change the fact that Mr. Combs never sexually harassed or sexually acted against anyone,” Davis said. “We live in a world where anyone can file a lawsuit for any reason and without evidence. Fortunately, there is a fair and impartial legal process to find out the truth, and Mr. Combs is confident he will prevail in court against these and other unsubstantiated claims.”


Discover more from Baller Alert

Subscribe to receive the latest posts via email.