New Hampshire man charged with threatening to kill presidential candidate found dead during trial

CONCORD, NH — Tyler Anderson, a 30-year-old New Hampshire man, charged with Threats against the lives of presidential candidates last yearwas found dead last week while a jury was deciding his sentence. Prosecutors said Anderson had made threats against events organized by Vivek Ramaswamy and Chris Christie.

Anderson’s death was confirmed by court documents.

Tyler Anderson has been charged at the federal level

The jury began deliberating the case against Anderson, 30, of Dover, on Tuesday after the trial began on Monday. His attorney did not immediately respond to emails and phone calls seeking comment. A court document said, “The government has learned that the defendant is deceased.” Prosecutors have asked that the charges be dismissed.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office did not name the candidates. When Anderson was arrested, a spokesman for Republican candidate Vivek Ramaswamy said the text messages were addressed to his campaign. Anderson had told the FBI in an interview that he had sent similar text messages to “several other campaigns,” according to a court document.

Anderson was indicted by a federal grand jury in December on three counts of sending a threat through interstate commerce. Each count carries a sentence of up to five years in prison, up to three years of probation and a fine of up to $250,000.

Investigation into the death of Tyler Anderson

Police in Concord, New Hampshire, were asked to help search for Anderson after he failed to appear in court. A car was eventually found in a garage at Concord Hospital around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Deputy Police Chief John Thomas.

Officers noticed a strong chemical odor coming from the car and called a hazardous materials response team. Anderson’s body was recovered from the car and pronounced dead. No weapons were found. Thomas said no foul play is suspected at this time.

Anderson was arrested on December 9 and released on December 14. A federal judge imposed several conditions for his release, including that he avoid contact with presidential candidates and their campaigns.

Anderson, who was undergoing psychiatric treatment, was also required to take all medications prescribed to him.

Threats against presidential candidates

According to court documents, Anderson received a text message from Ramaswamy’s campaign informing him of a breakfast event in Portsmouth. The campaign then received two text messages, one threatening to shoot the candidate in the head and the other threatening to kill everyone attending the event and desecrate their bodies.

According to the prosecution, similar text messages were sent to two different candidates before the Ramaswamy messages on November 22 and December 6.

A court document filed at Anderson’s arrest included a screenshot of Dec. 6 text messages threatening mass shootings in response to an invitation to meet with a candidate “who isn’t afraid to tell the truth.” Republican Chris Christie called his events “Tell it Like It Is Town Halls.”

A spokesman for the Christie campaign thanked law enforcement for taking care of the threats.

The U.S. Department of Justice is not naming the victims to protect their privacy and to comply with our obligations under the Crime Victims Rights Act, a Department of Justice spokesperson said.